Wednesday 23 March 2011

Developments for Character No. 2 in ZBrush and Maya

In the past two days, I've been working on the first stage of modelling my monster character's base mesh with ZSpheres in ZBrush. It was easy and very simple to do rather than modeling the mesh in Maya, and I was even able to export the mesh from ZBrush into Maya with the GoZ button (one of ZBrush's handy features for exporting models into other 3D applications).



First Base Mesh made from ZSpheres in ZBrush (above).

When the first mesh was done, I got to work on re-topology process for mesh in Maya, and I then encountered some problems with the topology for the mesh's hand as I've found it very difficult to do. So I then decided to go back to ZBrush and rearranged the ZSpheres, especially the hand area, and then go over the exporting procedure again back into Maya. Eventually, I've managed to sort out the hand issue, and I then worked on topology in the other areas of the mesh model (e.g. foot, chest, and back). Though the process was long and very challenging to work on, but I did learned the procedures and problem solving during the re-topology work on the mesh in Maya.


Mesh in Wireframe view from Maya (above).

As soon as the first topology work was done, I then exported the model back into ZBrush, and made some extra topology work on the base mesh (e.g. the basic muscle structure on the arms and legs). I also created a turnaround animation of the mesh in ZBrush with the 'timeline' tool to show the overall mesh at this stage. It's very simple to work on, and the timeline tool in ZBrush can be a big advantage for creating a turnaround animation towards the finished model instead of doing it in Maya.



Turnaround Animation of Base Mesh in ZBrush (above).

No comments:

Post a Comment