Thursday 7 April 2011

Character No. 2 Completed with turnaround Animations


After working on the colour tests for Character No. 2, I've decided to choose the fourth colour version of the character as the final design. I've also managed to model and polypaint the character's axe weapon (modelled from Maya) and placed the prop next to the character in one scene in ZBrush.
I was having some trouble with the transpose tool in the attempt to create the character's pose, so I've decided to leave it aside for the moment and focus on positioning the character and the axe for the turnaround animation in ZBrush.

Rendered Image


Coloured Image


Turnaround Animation



As for the overal process in developing a character only in 3D, it first took longer to develop than the 2D development process especially the sculpting process. However, the 3D silhouettes were just as quick as the 2D method towards creating rough meshes for further developments. I've also found that ZBrsuh is the best way of developing characters completely in 3D, especially using tools such as ZSpheres for 3D silhouettes and polypaint to colour the character's mesh directly with a graphics tablet (very useful to use for sculpting and colouring process). And finally what's more useful, is that I can use the GoZ command to automatically export my mesh from ZBrush into Maya if I want to work on the topology or other areas for my model and then export it back into ZBrush for further sculpting.
So to recap, concepting a character completely in 3D can offer the advantage of creating silhouettes and developing colour tests, but the process of rough modelling and sculpting takes more time to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment